Saturday, February 6, 2010

Weirdest 5K, ever

Man, do I hate running.

Maybe I just hate outside running where machines can't tell you how fast or how far you're going. Because this race felt like it took forever. And, as it turns out, it did!

Instead of marking a standard, 3.1-mile course, this race was actually four miles. See, but nobody knew that because there were no mile markers along the way. Only after I crossed the poorly-marked finish line did I find out that, yes, there was a reason why this run was sucking so hard. Because it was four miles!
(The race organizers later apologized for their mistake online and renamed it the Super extended 5K.)

So in the end, finishing in 57:20 wasn't quite as bad as it originally seemed back when I thought I was running the slowest 3 miles, ever.

And the best part of the run had nothing to do with my music selection, but it was when I was halfway through and I saw Matt walking in the grass with both girls in his arms. When they saw me, I was running, not walking, and for a few tiny seconds, everything felt right.

1 comment:

  1. You give new meaning (and length) to the phrase "going the distance". Congratulations Nina

    ReplyDelete